Chai Recipe - Low Carb & Healthy
Low carb recipe for Chai which belongs to the Beverages recipe category.
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) fennel seed or anise seed
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- inch (6 mm) of fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
- teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 cups (1.7 L) water
- 2 tablespoons (13.5 g) loose Darjeeling tea
- cup (8 g) Splenda
- tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- cup (120 ml) heavy cream mixed with cup (120 ml) water, or 1 cup
- (240 ml) half-and-half
Combine the fennel, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, peppercorns, bay leaf, and water.
Bring this to a simmer, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the tea, turn off the heat, cover, and let the mixture steep for 10 minutes.
Strain and stir in the Splenda, molasses, and cream.
You can refrigerate this for a day or two and reheat it in the microwave whenever you want a cup.
8 servings of 1 cup (240 ml) each.
Made with heavy cream, each serving will have about 7 grams of carbohydrates, no fiber (you've strained it out), and 2 grams of protein. Made with halfand- half, it'll have 8 grams of carbs, no fiber, and 2 grams of protein.