Beef Carbonnade Recipe - Low Carb & Healthy
Low carb recipe for Beef Carbonnade which belongs to the Beef recipe category.
- 2 pounds (910 g) beef round, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 2 turnips, cubed
- 12 ounces (360 ml) light beer
- cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (4.5 g) Splenda
- teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup (240 ml) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon concentrate
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Guar or xanthan
In a big, heavy skillet over high heat, sear the beef all over in the oil.
Place the beef in a slow cooker.
Add the onion, carrots, and turnips and stir everything around a bit.
In a bowl, mix together the beer, vinegar, Splenda, molasses, broth, bouillon, garlic, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper.
Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
Throw the bay leaves on top.
Cover the slow cooker, set it to low, and let it cook for 8 hours.
When the time's up, remove the bay leaves and add guar or xanthan to thicken the sauce a bit.
You can serve this as is, or to be more traditional, serve it over Fauxtatoes
Each with 34 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 8 g usable carbs. Analysis does not include Fauxtatoes.