Reduced-Carb Spicy Barbecue Sauce Recipe - Low Carb & Healthy
Low carb recipe for Reduced-Carb Spicy Barbecue Sauce which belongs to the Sauces and Seasoning recipe category.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- cup (56 g or 60 ml) butter or oil
- 4 tablespoons (6 g) Splenda
- 1 teaspoon salt or Vege-Sal
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 cups (360 ml) water
- cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) prepared horseradish
- 1 can (6 ounces, or 170 g) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) liquid smoke flavoring (such as the one made by
In a saucepan, cook the garlic and onion in the butter or oil for a few minutes.
Stir in the Splenda, salt, mustard, paprika, chili powder, and pepper.
Add in the molasses, water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish, and stir to combine.
Let the mixture simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Whisk in the tomato paste and liquid smoke and let the sauce simmer another 5 to 10 minutes.
Let the mixture cool, transfer it to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and store in the refrigerator.
About 2 cups (640 ml) of sauce
Each 2 tablespoon (30 ml) serving has 3 grams of carbohydrates and 1 gram of fiber, for a total of 2 grams of usable carbs and no protein. If you're wondering whether it's worth it to make your own barbecue sauce from scratch, chew on this for a moment: Your average commercial barbecue sauce has between 10 and 15 grams of carbs per 2-tablespoon (30-ml) serving?and do you know anyone who ever stopped at 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce?