Cajun Sauce Recipe - Low Carb & Healthy
- 1 small onion
- small green bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 can (14 ounces, or 420 ml) chicken broth
- cup (160 ml) cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (49.5 g) tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons (75 ml) spicy mustard
- 3 tablespoons (4.5 g) Splenda
- teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) No-Sugar Ketchup
- teaspoon chili powder
- teaspoon cayenne
Chop the onion, pepper, and celery fairly fine?feel free to use a food processor for this; I did! Crush the garlic, too.
In a big saucepan with a heavy bottom over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the chopped vegetables.
Saute them until everything is soft.
Now stir in everything else, turn the heat down, and let the whole thing simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Spoon over pork?preferably pork you've rubbed with Cajun Seasoning (page 484) and mopped with Cajun Rib Mop
Makes about 1 quart (960 ml), or about 16 servings of cup
Each serving will have 4 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fiber, for a usable carb count of 3 grams; 1 gram protein.