Green Tomato Chutney Recipe - Low Carb & Healthy
- 4 quarts (2.9 kg) green tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 cups (710 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 whole ginger root, sliced into very thin rounds
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon (5 g) whole cloves
- 5 or 6 sticks whole cinnamon
- cup (12 g) Splenda
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) blackstrap molasses
- 3 teaspoons stevia/FOS blend
Combine all the ingredients in a large stainless steel or enamel pot?no iron, no aluminum.
(This is an acidic mixture, and if you use iron or aluminum you'll end up with your chutney chock full of iron, which will turn it blackish, or aluminum, which simply isn't good for you.
) Simmer on low for 3 to 4 hours.
Store in tightly closed containers in the refrigerator.
Roughly 2 quarts (1.9 L)
Each 2 tablespoon (30 ml) serving will have 5 grams of carbohydrates and 1 gram of fiber, for a total of 4 grams of usable carbs and no protein. There are two things you need to know when buying and cooking with ginger. The first is that a whole ginger is also called a "hand" of ginger. The second is that you should always cut ginger across the grain, not along it, or you'll end up with woody ginger.