Sopa Azteca Recipe - Low Carb & Healthy
Low carb recipe for Sopa Azteca which belongs to the Soups recipe category.
- 3 quarts (2.8 L) chicken broth
- 2 cups (220 g) diced cooked chicken or boneless, skinless chicken breast
- cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 or 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons (10.8 g) dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons (9 g) dried basil
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cans (14 ounces, or 410 g each) diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 package (10 ounces, or 280 g) frozen chopped spinach
- At least 8 ounces (225 g) Mexican Queso Quesadilla or Monterey Jack
- cheese, shredded
- Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce (These come canned.)
- 5 ripe black avocados
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onion, garlic, celery, pepper, carrot, and zucchini together until they're limp.
Stir the oregano, basil, and pepper into the vegetables and saute for another minute and add them to the soup, along with the tomatoes and spinach.
Let the whole thing simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour to let the flavors blend.
When you're ready to serve the Sopa Azteca, put at least to cup (30 to 60 g) of cheese (more won't hurt) in the bottom of each bowl and anywhere from 1 to 3 chipotles, depending on how spicy you like your food.
(If you don't like spicy food at all, leave the chipotles out entirely.
) Ladle the hot soup over the cheese and peppers.
Use a spoon to scoop chunks of half of a ripe avocado onto the top of each bowl of soup.
Each serving of soup alone has 21 grams of carbohydrates and 6 grams of fiber, for a total of 15 grams of usable carbs and 25 grams of protein. Onehalf cup (60 g) of shredded cheese adds only a gram or so of carbohydrates and 14 grams of protein. Each chipotle pepper adds no more than 1 gram or so of carbs, and half an avocado has about 6 grams of carbohydrates and 2.5 grams of fiber, for a total of 3.5 grams of usable carbs per serving.