Jamaican Pepperpot Soup Recipe - Low Carb & Healthy
Low carb recipe for Jamaican Pepperpot Soup which belongs to the Soups recipe category.
- pound (225 g) bacon, diced
- 2 pounds (910 g) boneless beef round or chuck, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups (960 ml) water
- 1 cup (240 ml) canned beef broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces, or 280 g each) frozen chopped spinach
- teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 can (14 ounces, or 410 g) sliced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1 package (10 ounces, or 280 g) frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) butter
- cup (120 ml) heavy cream
Place the bacon, beef cubes, onion, water, and beef broth in a large, heavy soup pot.
Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, and let the mixture simmer for 1 hour.
Add the spinach, thyme, green pepper, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
Let it simmer for another 30 minutes.
Saute the okra in the butter over the lowest heat for about 5 minutes, add it to the soup, and simmer just 10 minutes more.
Just before serving, remove the bay leaf, stir in the cream, and sprinkle just a touch of paprika on each serving.
Each with 16 grams of carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber, for a total of 11 grams of usable carbs and 49 grams of protein.